Sunday, June 14, 2009

Me and My Money-belt

I did not want to appear stringent. But promoting corruption is not something I would ever encourage either. Plus, I was already feeling anxious about the prospect of my money-belt being stolen. I had made a grave, soon to be regretted, mistake by pulling out my money-belt, fearing it would trigger security alarm at the security check –in. While I was getting ready to pass through the checkpoint, between two to three guys crowded to help me to go through the security checkpoint. I wanted to tell them, “I have been here and I had gone through this checkpoint several times; back off!” But, as I was getting my perfume and other essentials out of my computer bag, one of the guys had already pushed, through into the baggage check machine, the tray I had placed both my watch and the money-belt. And more importantly, he went on to the other side of the checkpoint. I was still struggling to get off the rest of stuff that would trigger security alarm, when my most valuable item arrived on the other side of the conveyor belt.
When I arrived on that other side of the security checkpoint, the guy who went with my money-belt, more mysteriously, traded ways with me out. My fears got deeper. I wanted to start counting my money right there. But, I was also conflicted by this act. I did not want to appear either suspicious or showing off. And my more pessimist side told me, “If the guy stole the money, counting the remaining would not help bring back that which has been stolen”. This was the “inconvenient trust” part I had to come to term with.
So! Next, at the check-in desk, the attendant wanted to talk. I had excess luggage. I figured, “this must be kitu kidogo thing!” And this other guy, who was standing next to me, but different from the one at the security’s gate, said, “This is too much luggage, but we will talk”. I got confused. But, the lady at the desk really wanted to talk! She put the price at a hundred US dollar. This was just to bribe myself out!
I had emailed our office in Nairobi to inform them of my excess luggage out of Nairobi to Juba. And I was assured of this request, and out associate in Nairobi reminded me the night before my flight that “all is set for me to fly on the East African Express”. So when everyone appears eager to get my money, I told the attendant, “I was told excess luggage has been booked by our office here in Nairobi”. That got the attendant edgy. And the guy next to me set off for other lucks out there. I offered to call the person who booked the ticket. They wanted to call their office, instead. Nothing seems to be working out, so I went ahead and called our associate who later on contacted the airline. Problem solved! I was told to go ahead and enjoy my flight—to which, I responded, “I sure will!”
I understand you have to pay for an excess luggage anywhere in the world. But, I was deeply troubled by the way this whole thing was being handled. Also I understand those who were involved don’t get paid well enough, so they feel the need to make extra bucks where they can. Or, for some like the guy at the gate and at the desk, doing what they do is an employment in itself. In fact, my taxi was signaled to pull over by the police just as we were approaching the airport facility. The driver, knowing what exactly this policeman wants, lowers his right hand and drop what appeared to me like 50 ksh, and said, “Here you go boss!” Honestly, I do feel sorry for them.
I am, however, a strong believer in legal system. Inadequate is not a good reason to keep beating the system. If I were to pay a hundred bucks, I need a receipt. Plus, I wanted to make sure I don’t double pay, even if this were at all genuine procedures!! That was my introduction to Africa. I only have few hours left to fly to my final destination. Till then, I hope.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back to Africa brother

Beth said...

OK, Panther... What is happening now? Don't leave us hanging!

Jessie said...

Call now and have peace of mind knowing your home, family, and business are being monitored by the best alarm security service available in the internet.